ginebratambayan.hooxs.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chua claims no credit for streak

3 posters

Go down

Chua claims no credit for streak Empty Chua claims no credit for streak

Post by garrett_jax Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:09 am

MANILA, Philippines - Barangay Ginebra San Miguel coach Alfrancis Chua said yesterday the players deserve the credit for stringing up six wins in a row in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup and if the Kings go all the way to the title, it’s because they’re motivated by the team’s never-say-die spirit.

“So many guys want to play for Ginebra so I always remind our players to look at their jersey when they play, that’s where they get their inspiration,” said Chua. “We can’t let down the fans. There’s no such thing as a magical ‘bunot.’ All the guys are ready to play, that’s because they feel challenged. We’re undermanned, we’re one of the league’s smallest teams, we’ve missed Mark (Caguioa) the last three games but we’re winning. We ask everyone to contribute, not big numbers, just the small things but if you add up all those small things, you get something big.”

Chua said it’s all about mind-setting. “We know Mark’s out, now Billy (Mamaril) will be gone three to four weeks with a fractured finger,” he continued. “When we played Air 21, Mark, Rico (Maierhofer) and Kerby (Raymundo) were out. We lost to Air 21 before so we badly wanted to win. I told the guys to look who’s to their left and right, don’t look for guys who aren’t there, to trust in each other. “

Caguioa, the reigning MVP and the conference leading local scorer, is down with an MCL strain in the knee and is day-to-day. But that doesn’t keep him from walking six flights up to join his teammates at practice in the Xavier School gym. “That’s the kind of commitment Mark has,” said Chua. “He walks up just to show his teammates he’s one with them, never mind his discomfort and pain. I was really honored when Mark mentioned on TV how I’ve made it easier for the guys to excel. I think that’s the first time he ever made public his thoughts about it. That’s because we respect each other, everybody respects each other. We joke around like buddies off the court but when it comes to practice or playing in a game, we’re dead serious.”

Chua said not too many fans know how much Rudy Hatfield is sacrificing for the Kings. “This conference alone, he’s gone back and forth to the US twice for family reasons,” he said. “Once, he left Friday to take his kid back to the US and came back Sunday. He still cares for his former wife who has a heart problem and he visits her when he can. All that traveling takes a toll on you but Rudy’s out there making big plays all the time. He’ll die for you. We’ve been together since our Tanduay days.” Against Meralco last Sunday, Hatfield delivered 10 points and eight rebounds in 23 minutes as Ginebra won, 91-90.

Point guard L. A. Tenorio has emerged as the Kings’ court general and Chua said it’s his time to shine. “When he came in from the trade, he was shy, hesitated to take over a game,” said Chua. “I told him to speak out, to suggest things. I know his character, the guy’s a born leader. I encouraged him to be vocal. Now, I communicate with him and he communicates with the guys. Everybody listens when L. A. speaks.”

Even Jay-Jay Helterbrand is back enjoying himself on the floor. “You don’t want to pressure Jay-Jay to score 20 points,” said Chua. “He’s a streak shooter. If he’s hot, he’ll explode. He appreciates his role on the team. It’s not about doing big things but a lot of small things that add up. Against Air 21, I told the guys are we satisfied with five straight wins? Will we allow the law of averages to catch up? We’re proud to be playing for Ginebra so let’s show it.”

Rookie Chris Ellis is another vital cog in the Ginebra machine. “It’s rare to find a guy who’s so athletic, who can score and rebound and he’s only a rookie,” said Chua. “His basic role is to defend. We don’t want him to look to score. His points will come. He’s young, he has lapses, I told him not to play like a rookie. My rule is if in doubt, go for the shot instead of lose the ball, if you don’t have the shot, pass it, if you’re doubled, you’ll get it back anyway. Chris is giving us six to seven rebounds a game. For a guy who’s playing one or two guard, that’s a big contribution.”

Then there’s the import Vernon Macklin. “I’ve had my eye on Macklin since December,” said Chua. “He’s a perfect fit for us. He doesn’t like playing outside. He makes his living inside. So when he has the ball in the perimeter, everyone starts moving because you know he’ll make the pass. He sets picks and rolls hard to the basket. He understands what he has to do, just give us inside presence. He enjoys playing for the fans.”

Chua said the winning streak is not about him. “That’s why I don’t untie my ponytail every time we win,” he said. “Sometimes, I do in the spur of the moment, like an emotional reaction to a win but before you know it, it’s tied up again. I don’t do that anymore as a habit because I don’t want the fans to think it’s about me. Ginebra is winning because the players are working together as one, they’re proud to be playing for the fans.”

Ginebra has two more games left in the eliminations – Alaska tonight and Talk ‘N’ Text on Sunday. If the Kings sweep their last two assignments, they move up to 9-5 and could gain a shot at either No. 1 or No. 2.

by: Joaquin Henson
Source: http://www.philstar.com/sports/
garrett_jax
garrett_jax
MVP
MVP

Male Posts : 9552

Back to top Go down

Chua claims no credit for streak Empty Re: Chua claims no credit for streak

Post by betterhalf Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:35 am

Sana mag champion ang ginebra ngaun conference
betterhalf