ginebratambayan.hooxs.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JOURNEYMAN: BARANGAY GINEBRA’S JACKSON VROMAN

Go down

JOURNEYMAN: BARANGAY GINEBRA’S JACKSON VROMAN Empty JOURNEYMAN: BARANGAY GINEBRA’S JACKSON VROMAN

Post by MR. FAST Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:00 am

JOURNEYMAN: BARANGAY GINEBRA’S JACKSON VROMAN 030912%20vroman

JOURNEYMAN: BARANGAY GINEBRA’S JACKSON VROMAN
Published on March 9, 2012

The moment Jackson Vroman put on a Barangay Ginebra jersey and set foot in a PBA game, he felt something was about to go down. Something big. His heart was thumping fast and furious. He felt the energy surging through his limbs. His senses were off the charts.

It could be pressure. A really bad case of the nerves, as the 6-10 NBA veteran who played for the Phoenix Suns and New Orleans Hornets was tasked to carry the league’s most popular team after taking over rebounding monster Chris Alexander in the paint.

It could be fear. The naturalized player for Lebanon’s national team has experienced the physicality of opposing Filipino forwards in many battles for pride and country.

But it could also be excitement. The high of slam-dunking in front of thousands of basketball-crazed fans, knocking down crucial jumpers in a tight-contest, the genuine joy of hearing the roar of the crowd as he plays the game he’s loved his whole life.

“The first game we played was in a relatively small venue with lots of people. So everytime they cheered for a basket or a good play we made, I could hear them loud and clear. These fans love their basketball,” recalled Vroman.

And all of a sudden, it all becomes clear to him. He watches Mark Caguioa slice and dice his way to the rim for a layup. He sees Cool Cat Mike Cortez embarrass defenders with multiple crossovers. He looks at Dylan Ababou run the break and finish strong with a slam. He sees the hustle of Willy Wilson and Billy Mamaril in the paint. He sees the passion of Jayjay Helterbrand and his back-breaking triples. And finally, he feels the chill running down his spine as the thousands-strong fans of the Barangay chant GI-NE-BRA with gusto.

“I am going to love it here,” Vroman proclaims with a smile.

THE TRAVELING MAN

Jackson Vroman is sort of a citizen of the world - he played basketball as a youngster in Utah, where his father Brett played as a member of the 1980-81 Utah Jazz, then shuffled through Greece, Spain, and Italy before his father retired, and then back to the United States to play for Iowa State University, where he lead his team and the Big 12 conference in rebounding as a senior, before getting drafted in the NBA in 2004.

After stints in Phoenix and New Orleans, Vroman took his game to Europe playing for various teams in the Spanish ACB, before getting naturalized for the Lebanese National team.

“I am every bit a journeyman – in basketball and real life,” he says, remembering the people and places he’s been to, once playing in dusty playgrounds in Italy, then escaping from school via bus to play basketball against men almost twice his age in Salt Lake City, Utah, and then battling various nations as a naturalized cager in a foreign land.

“Being a journeyman is a lifestyle for me. My Dad was a journeyman during his playing career, and I’m a journeyman too and I enjoy it,” said Vroman.

While most players prefer to stay close to home, Vroman craves for adventure and makes the most out of his basketball tours. “I like it because I get to meet new people, I get to see new places, I get to appreciate different cultures, how many people can say they are blessed with a new adventure every time?”

THE MAN IN THE MIDDLE

His teammates change, but the game remains the same: in every stop, Vroman is expected to patrol the lane. At 6-10 with excellent footwork in the post and soft hands, Jackson is a force in the paint. In his PBA debut, he tallied 19 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 blocks to backstop top gun Mark Caguioa’s 31 points against the Powerade Tigers.

“Masarap siya pasahan,” says The Spark of his new teammate. “He’s so versatile. He knows how to finish with either hand, he’s strong in the post, he can shoot jumpers, and he runs. I like it when we’re sprinting up and down the court because that’s Ginebra basketball.”

Caguioa will be the first to say that he was a little saddened with the departure of 7-1 behemoth and good friend Chris Alexander, but Vroman’s play seems to have won over the franchise player’s vote of confidence.

“The whole team was energized with Jackson’s defense and hustle. Our confidence rose every time he would get a dunk, block or a steal or when he dived for loose balls. He inspired us to play harder,” said Caguioa.

Vroman is quick to return the favour.

“The Philippines has some of the best guards I’ve played with. Mark (Caguioa) is the man. Jayjay (Helterbrand) can handle and shoot. Mike (Cortez) gets to wherever he wants to on the court. Then they’re quick to cover passing lanes.”

And it is the blitzing tempo of the Filipino game that appeals the most to the versatile forward – in all his stops in Asia, Vroman says the Filipino style suits him best.

“Filipinos are fast and very skilled. I like an uptempo type of game, running up and down the court getting easy buckets, lots of movement in the halfcourt set. It makes basketball easy and enjoyable,” Vroman said.

One other thing that Vroman noticed about the Filipino game is the physicality of opposing defenses, something that he admits will take some getting used to. “The physicality allowed for defenders is still kind of new to me because of course games are called different from country to country.”

It helps that Jackson easily meshed with his teammates on and off the court.

“Everyone on the team talked to me and welcomed me. It helps that there’s no language barrier like on my teams in China and Korea, but my teammates in Ginebra welcomed me with open arms. And on the court I’m slowly building chemistry with them,” quipped the fiery import.

FROM FOES TO FRIENDS

Dylan Ababou is one of the hardest working forwards in the league, having paid his dues as one of the original members of the Smart-Gilas Pilipinas national team. At an athletic 6-4, Dylan hustled and wrestled with some of Asia’s best forwards in various leagues they played in, at one point, battling Jackson Vroman in the paint.

“Magkaaway kami dati niyan eh!” laughs Ababou as he recalls his battle with Vroman and his Iranian club team. “Siyempre pag pisikal yung laro, di niyo maiiwasan magkainitan minsan. Eh kami yung nagbabantayan noon, sikuhan, banggaan. Kaya ayun, magkaaway kami dati. Pero friends na kami ngayon.”

“I remember thinking this guy is a dirty player!” says Vroman. “He got under my skin with his physical play. But even if we got a little mad at each other, I respected him for his effort on the court.”

With Ababou helping him in the frontcourt, Jackson feels relieved that the vicious competitor he faced years back is now playing by his side. “Hustle and defense wins ballgames.”

MORE FUN IN THE PHILIPPINES

Slowly but surely, Vroman is settling in his new basketball stop. “But man, are you serious with the heat here?” he laughs as he chugs down a bottle of pineapple juice, noting that his biggest adjustment is the weather.

Ever the adventurer, Vroman is also curious about Filipino cuisine. “My Filipina friends keep telling me about the food! I enjoyed their stories about basketball but I’m also curious about the food.”

He says plans are in order for him to sample the famous Chicken Adobo and Sizzling Pork Sisig soon. “I am going to make sure I try them.”

Jackson Vroman is sort of a citizen of the world – he has played the global game on every court in front of every fan who shares his passion for the game. Sometimes, the faces and places become hazy and the travelling becomes routinely, but every once in a while, Vroman finds a special place that gets his heart thumping fast and furious, his limbs surging with energy, his senses off the charts. And then he is reminded of the beauty of his basketball journey.

“I chose the Philippines over all the other offers for me, because I’ve heard many great things about the Philippines, the place, the people, and basketball. And so far, I love it. I love the Barangay Ginebra fans. It is very fun in the Philippines” (JVelasquez)

Source: Pba.ph
MR. FAST
MR. FAST
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 18119

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum