ginebratambayan.hooxs.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Final Score: My eyes are on Ginebra and B-MEG

2 posters

Go down

The Final Score: My eyes are on Ginebra and B-MEG Empty The Final Score: My eyes are on Ginebra and B-MEG

Post by betterhalf Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:15 pm

The Final Score: My eyes are on Ginebra and B-MEG
MICO HALILI March 31, 2012 1:49pm

A semi-final series between old rivals Ginebra and B-MEG: what a thrilling concept. Connect today's Ginebra with yesterday's Ańejo. Search for what binds today's B-MEG and yesterday's Purefoods. Highlight the never-say-die spirit. Single out Alvin Patrimonio. Maybe you're too old to forget. Maybe you're too young to remember. But a possible clash between Ginebra and B-MEG honors the past and enlivens the future.

The Ańejo-Purefoods rivalry became so mainstream in 1988 it was impossible to miss. It split my high school class in half. We remember teachers because of their affiliation. Mr. Brazal was pro-Ginebra. Fr. Perez was pro-Purefoods. The technician of the science lab looked like Chito Loyzaga. We dubbed one classmate, who had the audacity to wear Jaworski signature shoes in a sea of Nike Airs, "Jawo". Another classmate idolized Patrimonio so much, he triumphantly copied Alvin's haircut but unsuccessfully copied Alvin's game.

I don't wish to undermine Meralco's chances against B-MEG in the quarterfinals. Face it; Ginebra fans will have just as much fun cheering against Mark Cardona, as they will against James Yap. Imagine Cardona beating his chest, with 55 points across his name, showered by a cascade of boos heard from Cubao to Kathmandu. Imagine Sol Mercado locking arms with Mark Caguioa. Imagine Chris Ross sprinting against Mike Cortez. Imagine the euphoria if Ginebra advances at Cardona's expense. Imagine the shock if Meralco, instead of Ginebra, makes it to the Finals.

But my eyes are on Ginebra and B-MEG. A potential semifinal meeting will bring back memories of an era. It will unearth loyalties to either Jaworski or Ramon Fernandez, admiration for either Patrimonio or Dondon Ampalayo, preference for the superb defense of either Loyzaga or Jerry Codińera. Old yet timeless debates will return. Which team has more dedicated fans? Which team's legacy looms larger on the PBA's timeline? Ańejo or Purefoods? Ginebra or B-MEG?

We had a small, movable blackboard at the back of our classroom. Section 2D had a running tally of the series. I still see it in my head, on that mini-blackboard, written in chalk. I still know the guys who had Dante Gonzalgo's face on their notebooks. I still remember the guys who laughed at the guys who had Dante Gonzalgo's face on their notebooks. Walter De Jesus, Reffie Ecarma and Alan Avila always chanted "Ah-Nye-Ho!" Cholo Tagaysay, Paul Famador and Roy Judan always countered with "Bu-Lok!" Good times. Priceless moments.

Fans of the old days make the same mistakes. They say Ginebra instead of the actual team name, Barangay Ginebra Kings. They say Purefoods instead of B-MEG. Younger fans, on the other hand, know what BGK stands for and they use the hash-tag #BMEGPlanet on Twitter. If Ginebra and B-MEG meet again, if fate allows new teams to settle old scores, a series could bridge the gap between Jaworski devotees and Caguioa followers, between Patrimonio supporters and Yap believers. I am too old to forget the past. Yet a rekindled rivalry makes both the old and new young always. — GMA News

Source: Gmanetwork.com
betterhalf
betterhalf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male Posts : 13764

Back to top Go down

The Final Score: My eyes are on Ginebra and B-MEG Empty Re: The Final Score: My eyes are on Ginebra and B-MEG

Post by MythicalV Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:33 am

I Really Like it kapag si Mico Halili ang nag susulat ng mga ganito... hehe
MythicalV
MythicalV
MVP
MVP

Back to top Go down