ginebratambayan.hooxs.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra

5 posters

Go down

The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra Empty The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra

Post by NSD Loyalist Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:43 pm

The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra
Fidel Mangonon III, special to InterAKTV · Monday, October 31, 2011 · 9:18 pm

The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra Ginebra-championship-celebration

December 11, a Sunday, is the last regular playdate of the elimination round of the 2011-12 PBA Philippine Cup. The very final game of the elims pits Barangay Ginebra against defending champion Talk ‘N Text in the 6:30 p.m. second game at the SMART-Araneta Coliseum.

It will already be the second meeting in the elims between the two teams, a rematch of their coming November 6 meeting.

The date is a special one for the Ginebra franchise, but one that I’m sure that most fans aren’t familiar with.

25 years ago, Ginebra won its first PBA title in the Open Conference, the third tournament of the season. The team came from behind to beat Manila Beer, 130-120, in the fifth game of a best-of-seven title series to end what had been an 8-year title drought for the franchise.

Think Sonny Jaworski, Dondon Ampalayo, the Loyzaga brothers — Chito and Joey, Dante Gonzalgo, Leo Isaac. All demigods in Ginebra lore, were part of that team.

Think two legendary imports playing on one team– Billy Ray Bates and Michael Hackett.

The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra Jaworski-ginebra-2

I reckon that the enduring popularity of Ginebra was cemented right then and there right then and there.

The team battled back from an 18-point deficit in that game to clinch the championship. Think “Never Say Die,” and it happened that night, magnified a thousand-fold because it resulted in the team’s first championship. It’s a spirit that the team carries with it to this day.

Now, think about this: Wouldn’t it be nice if Ginebra paid tribute to that title-winning team a quarter of a century ago? The current crop of Gin Kings, for example, could suit up in retro jerseys featuring the 1986 uniform design — it’ll be up to them if they want the shorts to be as skimpy as the ones worn back then. I suppose most fans would love it — especially the females.

Ginebra management can go one step further and host a reunion for the players of the franchise’s first champion team.

The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra Billy-ray-ginebra

With more than a month to go, there should be ample time to invite the Big J, as well as Billy Ray Bates, who is in town. There should also be no problems inviting players who are still in the country, which include Ampalayo, Isaac, Chito Loyzaga, Gonzalgo, Romy Mamaril, Joey Marquez (yes, THAT Joey Marquez), Mukesh Advani, Rey Perez, and Terry Saldana.

If Ginebra officials really want to go all-out, they could even invite Francis Arnaiz, Joey Loyzaga, Hackett, and assistant coach Rino Salazar to fly back to the country.

I have no idea where the likes of Rolando Buhay and Ed Ducut are right now, but I am sure the PBA knows where to get in touch with them.

Perhaps the PBA could also consider selling replicas of those retro jerseys, and donate a portion or all of the proceeds for a cause — like for Billy Mamaril’s wife, Christine, who’s still in a coma. I know I would buy a jersey, or even two.

Filipinos love to celebrate birthdays and anniversaries. So why not make an occasion of the silver anniversary of Ginebra’s first title?

That would make for an early Christmas gift for the millions of members of Barangay Ginebra.

Interaksyon
NSD Loyalist
NSD Loyalist
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 2969
Humor : That's for me to know and for you to dot, dot, dot.

Back to top Go down

The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra Empty Re: The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra

Post by Sode No Shirayuki Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:55 pm

Happy monthsary sa Jamships at happy anniv sa Ginebra! Wow! :NSD:
Sode No Shirayuki
Sode No Shirayuki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female Posts : 686
Humor : Get ready and get happy. We're going to negotiate a fake truce and I don't want your attitude screwing it up.

Back to top Go down

The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra Empty Re: The PBAologist: Commemorating the birth of Barangay Ginebra

Post by Magnum Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:20 am

Ginawa na ni caguioa ang magsuot ng short shorts sa game di ba?
Magnum
Magnum
Bench Player
Bench Player

Male Posts : 317
Humor : Ayos lang hindi sumikat, hindi naman malalaos.

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Loyalist Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:25 am

Kailan yun pareng troy? Ang alam ko lang ginawa niya, yung fit na fit yung shirt niya. Hehe!

Sana mag champion, 25 years na pala since nakuha ng team ang 1st championship nila sa PBA.
NSD Loyalist
NSD Loyalist
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnum Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:30 am

Once lang yun. Di ko maalala kung kelan. Fit lang ba ang shorts niya? I think maiksi din. Although hindi ganun kaiksi like sa era ni Jawo but still unusual para sa kanya na ala puruntong ang short.
Magnum
Magnum
Bench Player
Bench Player

Back to top Go down

Post by NSD Loyalist Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:34 am

Basta nun may time na nahilig siya sa fit na jerseys. Di ko alam kung fit yun o tumaba lang talaga siya? Haha!
NSD Loyalist
NSD Loyalist
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnum Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:37 am

Game 1 niya ginawa yun. Not sure lang if Finals or semis game. Then game 2, back to long shorts na.
Magnum
Magnum
Bench Player
Bench Player

Back to top Go down

Post by rentboy Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:33 pm

Wow.. Sna nga gumawa ng move ang management para marefresh sa fans un 1st championship ng team.

Kaso lng under la tondena pa ang BGK nun kya bka hndi gaano bgyan ng pansin ng smc management un 1st championship na un.
rentboy
rentboy
MVP
MVP

Male Posts : 1763

Back to top Go down

Post by skyscraper Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:57 pm

BASKET
skyscraper
skyscraper
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male Posts : 17217
Humor : #OustNoliEala

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down