ginebratambayan.hooxs.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Uichico open to SanMig return

2 posters

Go down

Uichico open to SanMig return Empty Uichico open to SanMig return

Post by Ginebra Tambayan Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:04 pm

Uichico open to SanMig return
By WAYLON GALVEZ
January 13, 2012, 10:19pm

MANILA, Philippines — Veteran coach Jong Uichico said Friday he isn’t closing the door on a possible return to San Miguel Corporation after it was formally announced that the multi-titled PBA mentor is joining the coaching staff of the national basketball team Smart Gilas II.

Uichico did not say what his exact role would be in the Gilas team but said he would be open to becoming the team’s offensive coach or as a scout.

“If I’ll have a choice, I think I’ll be more effective in either scouting or as offensive coach, it’s either of the two because you can’t have both,” Uichico said.

Uichico’s departure from San Miguel caught many by surprise since the 49-year-old mentor had cut his coaching teeth first as assistant to Ron Jacobs in 1999 and then blossoming into his own as a coaching wizard who piloted San Miguel to six championships and Ginebra to two.

But a demotion as assistant coach of Ginebra months ago may have forced his hand to try other options.

The San Miguel group has of late been experimenting with a slew of coaches such as Ato Agustin for Petron and Tim Cone for B-Meg.

But Uichico said San Miguel will always have a special place in his heart and this is the reason that while he may have moved to another address, he is still open to returning to his former team if he is called upon by its management,

“I’m not closing doors (to SMC). I hope they won’t close their doors too,” Uichico told the Bulletin Thursday night in a phone interview. “It’s just a small world we have in local basketball, we should not burn bridges.”

Uichico’s first task will be to help the Gilas Team the FIBA-Asia Championship in 2013. The event, which offers three slots in the Asian region, serves as the qualifying tournament for the 2014 World Championships in Spain.

Source: The Manila Bulletin
Ginebra Tambayan
Ginebra Tambayan
News Maker
News Maker

Male Posts : 1095

Back to top Go down

Uichico open to SanMig return Empty Re: Uichico open to SanMig return

Post by skyscraper Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:45 pm

makakabalik pa kaya sya e naka contract sya bilang consultant ng meralco at di malabong maging head coach ng isang mvp team?!
skyscraper
skyscraper
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male Posts : 17217
Humor : #OustNoliEala

Back to top Go down