ginebratambayan.hooxs.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win

+4
wnc19
garrett_jax
MR. FAST
Ginebra Tambayan
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win Empty Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win

Post by Ginebra Tambayan Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:32 am

Tuneup notes: San Mig rests starters, Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win

MANILA -- It was the first Monday of March, and newly-crowned Philippine Cup champions San Mig Super Coffee welcomed some familiar faces in their practice facility in San Juan. The Mixers battled Barangay Ginebra San Miguel in a tuneup game.

The last time the two teams met, it was a semifinals game witnessed by 25,000 less 117 people inside the Big Dome. Today, for two hours considered as ungodly for a professional baketball game, some hundreds packed the petite Ronac gym.

As early as Sunday evening, Twitter was already buzzing about the game scheduled at 11 AM the following day. Diehards proclaimed the death of the two best words in all of sports, that is, Game 7, and birthed life to what they brand as Game 8 of the semis. 

San Mig plays with second stringers

However, a lot of people were surprised when San Mig Super Coffee played against Ginebra minus key figures of the title they secured in the league’s first conference. Marc Barroca, PJ Simon, James Yap, Joe Devance and Marc Pingris were all absent in the tuneup game won rather convincingly by Ginebra, 116-103. Even Tim Cone was not there to oversee the match.

“The first five is on a break right now. They took the first break. It’s a little difficult with us starting again so soon,” explained acting coach Jeffrey Cariaso, who took over Cone’s job for the match. “So ginawa namin, split yung break namin.”

The Mixers started with Justin Melton, Alex Mallari, Val Acuña, Ian Sangalang and James Mays. While Ginebra had LA Tenorio, Chris Ellis, Leon Rodgers, JayR Reyes and Billy Mamaril as first five.

Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win 1974568_10201749349401062_1325686571_n

“After we won the championship, we really had one day off and then the next day practice na uli. So yung nag first break, first group. So they will be back early next week. Tapos second group will be on a break. We’re just trying to transition it better so that we’ll have bodies here for James (Mays),” added Cariaso.

With the Mixers’ second and third units playing, most of the production came from the import, who scored 23 points. While, Val Acuña and Alex Mallari added, 22 and 16, respectively.

The points put up by Mays was a team-high, but for this game, he was clearly outplayed by his counterpart Leon Rodgers. The Ginebra reinforcement dominated the match from both ends of the floor scoring a game-high 38 points while contributing 11 rebounds.

Mays, who has been in the country since the Philippine Cup playoffs, did his job from inside the paint for San Mig Coffee. Compared to Rodgers who likes to play from the perimeter, Mays operated downlow and showed flashes of brilliance for his team. Aside from the dunk which signalled the start of the second half, the two rejections he had in the first quarter were probably the best plays for the former NBA D-League player.

“He’s really strong inside, obviously. Right now, his legs I think are a little tired so he’s not finishing normally as he does,” Cariaso said of Mays, who shot two airballs from the perimeter in the tuneup. “But he really is strong inside and he can pop out a little bit and hit the 10-12 footer.”

Cariaso ended his assessment by saying that Mays is a good triangle big guy.

Ginebra import continues to impress

On the other side of the court, Rodgers was doing everything for Ginebra. Fresh from a 29-point showing against Air 21 last Friday, the import continued to display his deadly form from the outside. Fact is, the three-time Dutch league MVP’s unlimited range probably overshadows some other fine departments of his game.

For several instances, Rodgers brought the ball down for Ginebra. He also has good court vision, finding and willingly giving up the leather to open teammates. As a prolific scorer from the outside, Rodgers definitely has the ability to stretch the floor for Ginebra and attract the double from opposing teams.

“It’s one of the things that I like to do,” said Rodgers of his outside shooting. “Right now I'm just trying to feel my teammates out as well as they are feeling me out. Some points in the game I was more aggressive, some points I kinda pulled it back.”

“I think it's just a balance thing - thats my role in the team - to be the balance. Whatever the team needs is what I should be able to provide. “

It should be noted that Rodgers sat out the entire fourth quarter as his hamstring tightened up. Later, the import claimed that he could have finished the tuneup if it was a game in the regular season.

Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win 10003044_10201749401322360_1866092346_n

“I think everything is going as planned as far as us feeling each other out, as far as the chemistry. This is a good team from top to bottom. You have guys with experience as well as guys who know how to play the game, and that's really important,” Rodgers said post game.

“Even today, you can see that we had our top two bigs did not play, and our bigs that came in and replaced those guys really didn't miss a beat.”

Ginebra coach Ato Agustin rested Japeth Aguilar after the forward underwent a platelet-rich plasma (PRP) treatment. While, Greg Slaughter was also unavailable for Ginebra due to diarrhea caused by a bad case of food poisoning.  

Instead the Gin Kings went to reserves JayR Reyes and Billy Mamaril, who both made a good account of themselves in the frontcourt. Reyes, who scored 23 points, did most of the damage in the third quarter.

Officially listed as 6’5’’ 1/2 inches, Rodgers could be one of the smaller imports in the Commissioner’s Cup. Asked by Solar Sports Desk if he views this as a disadvantage in terms of playing defense on the bigger imports, he answered in the negative.

“I just came from China and a lot of the other leagues, where I am forced to play bigger imports and I think with my size, it helps me out,” said Rodgers, who in fact is gifted with good muscular frame. ”I think we would be fine. Most of the imports I am already familiar with -- James Mays and (Herve) Lamizana from the last game.”

“They have to guard me as well,” added Rodgers. “We'll be fine especially that this team have other good big guys. I think it will be a good mix.”

Agustin was in support of his import:"“Yes, I think he can defend both number four and number five. Kaya naman niya eh. Especially, pag nasa game ginu-guide niya rin yung mga locals.”

More than an offensive threat

The coach also sees the experience garnered by Rodgers from playing all over the world to carry over to Ginebra.

“Malaki matutulong niya sa scoring and yung experience niya napakaganda. Maganda yung takbo ng team namin ngayon,” he said.

Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win 10000196_10152212497588686_156494562_n
Rodgers, who had previous playing experience in Netherlands, France, Germany, Puerto Rico and China among others, said that he already knows his role with Ginebra.

“Most teams that I go to, it is placed upon me to score the basketball, be the team leader, and get guys involved. Just be the glue guy and be the guy that if you need something done I can hopefully provide it or do my best to try to get it done. I don’t think my role has changed with this team.”

“I think that's one of the reasons that management has brought me in - to provide a lot of experience and leadership. Just gel with the guys like Mark (Caguioa), JJ (Helterbrand) and LA (Tenorio) that have been here for years playing in this league – really experienced guys and they know how to win. Hopefully I can bring my experience and we can blend together and come out with a championship team.”

Source: Solarsportsdesk.ph
Ginebra Tambayan
Ginebra Tambayan
News Maker
News Maker

Male Posts : 1095

Back to top Go down

Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win Empty Re: Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win

Post by MR. FAST Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:36 am

Partida pa yan alalay pa laro nyan what more kung sobrang focus na nyan sa actual game..

Mukhang team player naman kaya tingin ko magiging ok sha sa team.
MR. FAST
MR. FAST
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 18119

Back to top Go down

Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win Empty Re: Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win

Post by garrett_jax Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:03 am

hopefully ........ makarating ulit sa finals ..........
garrett_jax
garrett_jax
MVP
MVP

Male Posts : 9552

Back to top Go down

Post by wnc19 Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:02 am

may ibubuga 'tong import natin, sana dalhin nya sa actual game lalong lalo na yung Leadership
wnc19
wnc19
Bench Player
Bench Player

Male Posts : 333
Humor : SVS or nothing =D

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. FAST Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:12 am

magaling talaga yan no doubt, 3x MVP yan sa Dutch League.
MR. FAST
MR. FAST
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by garrett_jax Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:30 am

sana matapos nya ang conference na may bitbit na championship trophy .......
garrett_jax
garrett_jax
MVP
MVP

Back to top Go down

Post by betterhalf Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:31 am

wag lang Sanmig makalaban sa finals at semi pre kaya naten mag champion ng wlang dayaan
betterhalf
betterhalf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male Posts : 13764

Back to top Go down

Post by garrett_jax Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:35 am

nako, usapang business na naman yan kapag sanmig ang nkalaban ......... hahahaha
garrett_jax
garrett_jax
MVP
MVP

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. FAST Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:37 am

Pero kung ako tatanungin mo mas gusto ko ulet sila makaharap ng semis para makaresbak at wish ko lang naman masweep natn sila. lol
MR. FAST
MR. FAST
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nsd_29 Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:09 pm

gusto ko din san mig ulit makaharap natin sa finals nga lng para kahit pa sabihin n dayain tayo dahil paborito ng management ang san mig atleast cgurado tayo paabutin ng game 7 at masasaksihan ng lahat ang LAKAS NG SIGAWAN NG TAO NG GINEBRA GINEBRA GINEBRA..
nsd_29
nsd_29
New comer
New comer

Male Posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by nsd_29 Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:10 pm

feeling ko talagang may ibubuga import nten..gudluck sa ginebra sana mkaharap man natin ang sister team sa finals nlng..
nsd_29
nsd_29
New comer
New comer

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. FAST Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:12 pm

^ako kahit Semis muna kasi laking bentahe talaga ng my tim cone sa isang team pero this confy mukang solve na solve tayo kay Kenny Rodgers. lol
MR. FAST
MR. FAST
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nsd_29 Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:15 pm

pag semis kc pre tapos sister team agad delikado tayo..hindi tulad kung finals mas masaklap kapag pinagchampion nila san mig kesa saten ang isisigaw ng tao ginebra db..
nsd_29
nsd_29
New comer
New comer

Back to top Go down

Post by Alakero Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:27 pm

dapat matalo natin sila ng 32 pts!!!pmbawi sa 29pts na tinambak nila saten khit sa elimination muna, sbrang sweet revenge yun! pg ngyari yun mgpapainum talaga ako! ahaha Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win 1510611536  Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win 2870376077  Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win 3565470011
Alakero
Alakero
Practice player
Practice player

Male Posts : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by garrett_jax Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:30 pm

mas maganda nasa finals na ang ginebra at nasa kankungan ang sanpig........ dun ko malalaman kung gagawan ng dokyu sila ....... ahahaha
garrett_jax
garrett_jax
MVP
MVP

Back to top Go down

Post by betterhalf Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:39 pm

pro ako ayaw ko tlga sila makalaban kahit semis at finals.. delikado tayo dito.. mas pabor ang SMC management kay tim cone. nagmumukhang juice ang fans ng ginebra pag sila ang naglalaban.
betterhalf
betterhalf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by garrett_jax Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:56 pm

hindi rin maiiwasan yan klasmeyt....... mas maganda kung hindi sila papasok sa playoff........ malaki ang chance ng ginebra sa finals
garrett_jax
garrett_jax
MVP
MVP

Back to top Go down

Post by betterhalf Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:07 pm

ano hindi maiiwasan pre ung mkalaban ang sanmig o magmukha tayong juice hahaha

ung laro nila against tnt nung quarterfinals ang dami na agad angal ng tnt dun sa mga tawag.. hangang sa manalo sila ng champion ano ang issue ung mga foul parin hahaha.. ano ibig sabhin nyan salamat refs tlga diba hahaha
betterhalf
betterhalf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by garrett_jax Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:12 pm

pareho klasmeyt ........... hahahaha

habang hawak ni tim cone ang smc, malabo pa rin ang championship ........
garrett_jax
garrett_jax
MVP
MVP

Back to top Go down

Post by betterhalf Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:15 pm

pro sana makatulong ang import naten ngaun para ung 6 years na kabiguan naten mawala na  Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win 2716121197 Tuneup notes: Ginebra’s Rodgers registers double-double in win 2716121197 
pro gnun pala tlga ang ginebra noh medyo matgal tlga sila amg champion pro pag nag champion nman sunod sunod na taon.. tulad nalang ng 1997 last champion naten bago uli tayo mag champion ng 2004 na sila MC na. pitong taon un. mas matgal pa sa anim na taon ngaun hahaha
betterhalf
betterhalf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by garrett_jax Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:25 pm

sana nga klasmeyt, makapagchampion ulit tayo ........ kase next confy, mawawalan ng 3 players ang ginebra team ........ hehehehe

malakas ang import natin ngaun kaya malaki ang chance na magchampionship ..... next confy, ewan ko na lang sa import ...... hahahaha
garrett_jax
garrett_jax
MVP
MVP

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. FAST Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:30 pm

Pero mas malaki na talaga chance naten ngayong season kinapos lang talaga tayo, tsaka nakuha na naten talaga yung mga kelangan naten, kaya sana matapos na yung tagtuyot sa ginebra
MR. FAST
MR. FAST
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by garrett_jax Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:32 pm

oo nga klasmeyt fasty........... sana nga ........... magdilang angel ka ....... heheheh
garrett_jax
garrett_jax
MVP
MVP

Back to top Go down

Post by MR. FAST Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Para saken eto na ang last chance ni Coach Ato sa team pag hindi pa nya nagawang mapagchampion ang GInebra kelangan na nyang mag step down, kumpleto na ang arsenal ng ginebra, kaya wala na shang rason para hindi magawa yun..
MR. FAST
MR. FAST
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by betterhalf Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:44 pm

sobrang laki ng chance naten alam ko tlga kaya naten mag champion pro un nga kinapos at mas pabor sa kabila wla na tayong magagawa kundi mag move on

#Bawi
betterhalf
betterhalf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next