ginebratambayan.hooxs.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jawo and Dolphy are on Grantland

2 posters

Go down

Jawo and Dolphy are on Grantland Empty Jawo and Dolphy are on Grantland

Post by betterhalf Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 am

@firequinito
Jawo and Dolphy are on Grantland. Salamat, @Rafeboogs -

4. Robert Jaworski and Dolphy Quizon: Legends in the Game
Via our resident expert on life and sport in Philippines, Rafe Bartholomew.

On Sunday, Robert Jaworski, the most famous, most beloved, and probably also most hated player in the history of Philippine basketball, had his jersey retired at the Araneta Coliseum. On Tuesday, Dolphy Quizon, almost certainly the most famous and prolific comedian in the history of the Philippines, died at the age of 83. Both enjoyed the kind of career longevity that strains belief. Jaworski was 29 years old and already one of the country's top players when the Philippine Basketball Association had its first season in 1975. Instead of riding out five last good years, though, Jaworski kept playing and playing, until he finally left the sport in 1998, when he was in his early 50s, as the player-coach of Ginebra gin franchise. He left only because he got elected to the Senate, and even then, he didn't officially retire because there were concerns his fans wouldn't support his political career if there were no chance of him returning to the court. He was known for rough, smart play and a "never say die" philosophy — it was about winning, but it could also apply to his never-ending, Methuselah-like career. I love this picture of him, near the end of his playing days, a cantankerous old legend refusing to back down an inch to a much bigger, younger, and stronger American import. Dolphy had comedies for six decades, from his 1950 Dolphy and Panchito, to the 2010 Father Jejemon. When I first learned I'd be moving to the Philippines in 2005, I was told to go to the New Manila Food Mart on First Avenue near 14th Street and rent Dolphy movies. I did, and though I had no clue what anyone was saying, it was pretty easy to enjoy the endless fart jokes and people's pants falling down. The rest, you could say, is history. Thanks, Jawo, and thanks, Dolphy.

Source: Grantland
betterhalf
betterhalf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male Posts : 13764

Back to top Go down

Jawo and Dolphy are on Grantland Empty Re: Jawo and Dolphy are on Grantland

Post by betterhalf Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:58 am

FYI- Grantland.com, which is affiliated with ESPN.com

kaya international na si Jawo :bouncing:
betterhalf
betterhalf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male Posts : 13764

Back to top Go down

Post by garrett_jax Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:24 am

Mr.niceguy wrote:FYI- Grantland.com, which is affiliated with ESPN.com

kaya international na si Jawo :bouncing:

gling gling naman ............. kawawa ang mga bitter nito kapag nabasa nila .......... Jawo and Dolphy are on Grantland 250319431
garrett_jax
garrett_jax
MVP
MVP

Male Posts : 9552

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down