ginebratambayan.hooxs.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kings ex-import suffers depression

3 posters

Go down

Kings ex-import suffers depression Empty Kings ex-import suffers depression

Post by Ginebra Tambayan Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:14 am

Kings ex-import suffers depression

By Joaquin Henson The Philippine Star Updated April 20, 2012 12:00 AM

MANILA, Philippines - Former Barangay Ginebra import Chris Alexander confessed the other day that he turned down juicy playing contracts in Korea and Qatar because of depression from being axed by the PBA team that is close to his heart.

Alexander, 31, led Ginebra to the 2007-08 Fiesta Conference title and was recalled to lead the Kings in the current Commissioner’s Cup. But his second tour of duty was cut short after three games even as Ginebra got off to a 2-1 start with the 7-1 behemoth averaging 14 points and 20.3 rebounds.

From the PBA, Alexander took his sneakers to Korea for a tryout. He was offered a two-week contract for the playoffs but couldn’t break out of his depression. Alexander left Korea after two days and returned to his family in St. Louis. While back home, he got a lucrative offer to play in Qatar and that, too, was rejected.

“I was emotionally distraught,” said Alexander who flew in last week to play for the Philippine Patriots as Nakiea Miller’s replacement in the ABL. “For close to two months, I did nothing in St. Louis. I couldn’t get myself to watch basketball on TV. But I kept track of how Ginebra was doing in the PBA. I checked out twitter and facebook, interacting with Ginebra fans. I was hurt. I didn’t think they would cut me. I couldn’t imagine they would let me go after what I did in 2008. Jay-Jay (Helterbrand) was hurt in the finals and it was Paul (Artadi) and I who lifted the team to the championship. I did it before, I knew I could do it again.”

Alexander said he found out about his exit from the internet. “We just played in Dubai and I read in the internet that my replacement was arriving in Manila four hours after we left to go back,” he said. “Sure, I was bitter. From when I left Ginebra in 2008, all I dreamed about was going back to play in the PBA. I did two years in Korea. I played in China. I was the last cut at the Oklahoma City camp. But my heart stayed with Ginebra. When I got the call to go back, I knew it would be like old times.”

Alexander said he realizes he’s not the same dominant player he was four years ago. “I’m a lot smarter now,” he said. “I’ve become more of a passer. I still rebound and run the floor. I don’t look to score as many points but I get my teammates involved in the offense. It’s a lot more of a mental game for me now.”

A consolation for Alexander was he was replaced by former Iowa State teammate Jackson Vroman. “I played nine games with Jax at Iowa State,” he said. “Jax is a heckuva player. At least, I was replaced by a guy who’s a good player. I knew him to be a good free throw shooter before, maybe, he’s not anymore.”

Alexander said he wanted to block basketball from his mind but Patriots team manager Erick Arejola and player agent Sheryl Reyes persistently phoned to bring him back to Manila. “They called every day,” said Alexander. “I cried when I was cut by Ginebra. I was emotionally down. Ginebra’s the only team for me in the PBA. I love the Ginebra fans and the Ginebra spirit. But I understand that basketball is a business. I don’t blame anyone for letting me go. I respect the decision. It’s just that I was hurt deep inside.”

Alexander was finally convinced to pack his bags and return to Manila. “I’m back alone,” he said. “My wife is seven weeks pregnant with our third child and it’s too far for her to travel, what with the kids and all. It took a lot of convincing to get me back to play but I want to prove something. I’m motivated to play my best for the Patriots. The ABL is a competitive league with guys like Tiras Wade and Steve Thomas, guys I know. My goal is to do everything I can to win it all for the Patriots.”

The day after he arrived, Alexander was on the court familiarizing himself with coach Glenn Capacio’s system. He made his Patriots debut two days after his return, compiling 16 points and 12 rebounds in 35 minutes in a 93-78 loss to San Miguel Beer. Alexander said he wasn’t even supposed to suit up in the game. “Coach asked if I wanted to sit out because I just got in but I wanted to play,” he said.

Alexander said he hoped Ginebra would advance to the finals but last Tuesday, the Kings were bundled out of contention by B-Meg in the closer of their semifinal series. “I wanted Ginebra to go all the way,” he said. “I have a lot of respect for coach Siot (Tanquingcen) and Jay-Jay brought me back to church. Throughout my depression, I stayed in touch with Jay-Jay. (Assistant) coach Allan (Caidic) is also a close friend. I remember when I was playing in Korea, he would send me an inspiring message after a bad game and the next game, I was unstoppable. At first, I didn’t want to go back to Manila unless it was for Ginebra. Eventually, I realized it wasn’t just Ginebra close to my heart but the Filipino fans and the country. That’s why I came back.”

In his twitter, Alexander lamented Ginebra’s loss to B-Meg. “My insides are burning,” he said. “I saw my good friends fall without me. I hate that they lost. Win as a team, lose as a team.”

Source: Philstar.com
Ginebra Tambayan
Ginebra Tambayan
News Maker
News Maker

Male Posts : 1095

Back to top Go down

Kings ex-import suffers depression Empty Re: Kings ex-import suffers depression

Post by skyscraper Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:08 pm

In his twitter, Alexander lamented Ginebra’s loss to B-Meg. “My insides are burning,” he said. “I saw my good friends fall without me. I hate that they lost. Win as a team, lose as a team.”

Thanks Chris for loving our GINEBRA. We know how you feel, dont worry we will bounce back next conference. Moved on big fellah! We love you Kings ex-import suffers depression 1510611536
skyscraper
skyscraper
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male Posts : 17217
Humor : #OustNoliEala

Back to top Go down

Kings ex-import suffers depression Empty Re: Kings ex-import suffers depression

Post by rentboy Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:19 pm

“I cried when I was cut by Ginebra. I was emotionally down. Ginebra’s
the only team for me in the PBA. I love the Ginebra fans and the Ginebra
spirit. But I understand that basketball is a business. I don’t blame