PBA: Canaleta

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by betterhalf on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:44 am

Posted by Online on Apr 2nd, 2012

Manila, Philippines – I SAT at the baseline with photographers six meters from where Barangay Ginebra’s KG Canaleta wrecked havoc on B-Meg’s defense in their playoff Friday night for the second outright semifinal berth in the PBA Commissioner’s Cup and I thought, “Where the heck have you been in the elimination round?“

It was a thrill to see the former University of the East Red Warrior highflying it again since his presence with the Kings has been that of an ornament on the bench instead of a fixture on the playing court.

Kind of the way Jeremy Lin was when Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire where lord and master of the New York Knicks a few Linsanity weeks ago.

And this surprised me since I knew, having covered him from his UAAP days, what Canaleta is capable of.

The guy is an audacious 3-point shooter with a decent perimeter jumper. His turn-around could nail to the baseline defenders who try to guard him with his back against the basket, and his slam-dunks could be the envy of a number of NBA players.

Defensively, his effort needs more aggression and his ball-passing ability and his reading of game situations stand improvement. But he can hit free throws with the game on the line and he is willing to bang bodies when the challenge arises.

He also doesn’t back down from anybody.

So why has he been sitting down all this time?

Maybe Canaleta hasn’t been asserting himself in practice. Or the opportunity to step out of the shadows cast by his popular teammates hasn’t presented itself before.

But with the Fast and the Furious injured, more specifically Mark Caguioa who suffered two bloody cuts in the eyelid after a bad fall in the third quarter, Caneleta was summoned to salvage the situation.

And he did, leading the Kings with 25 points and sending home from the Cuneta Astrodome that evening thousands of Ginebra fans with joy in their hearts.

Is KG Canaleta going back to the bench when Caguioa and Jayjay Helterbrand return healthy for the semifinals against either B-Meg or Meralco? Or is a Big Three equation a possibility?

That’s a delicious dilemma the Ginebra coaches would have to resolve. And I haven’t even mentioned the Cool Cat yet.

Source: Tempo.com.ph
betterhalf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male Posts : 13764

Back to top Go down

Re: PBA: Canaleta

Post by MR. FAST on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:59 am

to TS, fyi moved ko lang to sa news article section tsaka meron akong konting inedit..
MR. FAST
Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 18119

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum